Sunday, August 22, 2010

Oh my Helper!

We ditched Salt Lake, again, and hit the mountain lands this weekend. My dad was involved in an art weekend in Helper, Utah. If you have never heard of Helper just imagine Radiator Springs from the Pixar movie "Cars" and that should give you a fair idea of what this place is like. Let's just say Main Street is not exactly hopin' these days... Although the town is mostly run-down, there are some redeeming qualities about this little town. 

Helper is an art colony. It is known for its great artist including David Dornan, Paul and Silvia Davis, and David Steele. During the winter this little town is not much of anything but during the summer it is buzzing with artist and art students. It just so happens that the "Salon" Raymond and I stayed in is also home to many student participating in art programs taught by David Dornan.

We had such a good time supporting my dad in Helper. It was so nice to get-a-way before summer is officially gone. 


We were lucky to see the very talented David Dornan give a painting demonstration. I love to see the process it takes artists to get from a blank canvas to a beautiful work of art. David has one of the strangest methods I have seen yet... For the first few layers of paint he basically slaps in on there and rubs it around with his fingers. I just love his finished pieces though.

I'm still not sure if you would classify our accommodations as a hotel or a hostel. The room wasn't so bad and it was indeed private, but the bathrooms were shared and nothing short of scary. I didn't dare take a shower without my flip-flops on... Despite the interesting hotel/hostel situation, Raymo and I made it fun, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment